Friday, October 16, 2020

Capsule Recommendations & My Iron Man #1 Reaction

Capsule Recommendations


If you're in the mood for another magical school story, this book (the first of five) is a pretty good choice. The main characters here actually feel like real children with real, child-like points of view, and the suggestion that there are multiple layers to this world (or perhaps a multiverse?) is actually quite intriguing. I do think it took a little too long for the actual plot to get going in this opening installment -- but if you're patient and stick with the long, long set-up, I think you'll ultimately appreciate the potential of the series as a whole.

Pack Dynamics, Julie Frost

Urban fantasy is not generally a go-to genre for me; for some reason, vampires, werewolves, and the like just don't excite me all that much. This particular novel, however, completely won me over purely on the strength of its characterization. In particular, I fell absolutely in love with Frost's incorrigible human disaster of a "mad scientist," who managed to make me smile basically every time he appeared. Very, very fun!

Shiloh, Helena Sorensen

If you're willing to suspend your disbelief and roll with the premise - that the world has been plunged into a spiritual and literal perpetual night by the actions of an evil god - I think you'll appreciate what this particular novel (also the first of a series) has to say about the ways people can fall from grace -- and how they can find their way back to light and hope. The Amazon algorithm recommended this one to me based on my purchase of the Green Ember books, and I think the connection is apt.


And as for my reaction to the new Iron Man #1, click below...

2 comments: