Friday, May 29, 2020

Happy Birthday, Tony Stark!


More than a year has passed since your arc concluded in the MCU, and I'm still not over it.

I have already expressed many, many feelings about you -- and will likely express many, many more each time I re-watch your movies in the future. Why? Because there's so much there.

I adore you because you're so deeply human. You have capital-I Issues. You don't process trauma well or trust others easily. Sometimes you get scared; sometimes you lose your temper. You make stupid mistakes. But all the while, you're trying.

And then there are the little things. Like the Christmas stocking you've kept for Jarvis. Or that ridiculous bunny. Or the fact that you talk to inanimate objects like they're people. Or the fact that you teach Nebula how to play paper football just because. When the defensive mask comes off, you're the biggest dork in the world.

And holy eff, do you love your friends and family! You will invite a terrorist to your home for a cage match to avenge a buddy's injury. And yes, that's you being an idiot -- but it's also the depth of your passion on full display.

As I once said in a YouTube video, your story of growth and redemption is one of the world's ur-stories. I think that's why I - and countless others - find it so deeply satisfying. We all need to hear that, no matter how far we've fallen, we can still change course -- and change the world.

So here's to you, Tony. You are a damned legend.

No comments:

Post a Comment