Friday, October 25, 2019

Bored by Politics

(I'm swapping the political post with the geeky post this week, as I'm still working on reading one of the books getting the next set of recommendations ready.)

So: politics. Ugh. Is anyone else just really freakin' bored by it all?

I care a great deal about preserving our liberty. I want to keep my gun, practice my religion, and speak my mind without interference from tyrannical busybodies -- and I want all of you to have those freedoms too.

Further, as you may have noticed, I am also vexed by trends that threaten the integrity of artistic expression. I really, really hate that certain factions are demanding our entertainment be thoroughly predictable and/or anodyne. Fahrenheit 451 was a warning, not an instruction manual.

And yes: I see many problems in the world right now that require thoughtful, evidence-based solutions.

But the day-to-day news cycle? The impeachment theater? The clown college debates? Here, I have lost the ability to care. None of it, in my view, is serious. It's all shit-stirring and mugging for the camera -- and to be quite frank, I just don't feel like talking about any of it.

In the future, I'll try to post lengthier reflective essays on larger trends and my own principles -- but don't be surprised if I post something geeky on a "political" day instead. Because honestly? My field of fucks is barren.

1 comment:

  1. I'm of the belief that your "ho-hum" attitude is normal. Only the deeply fanatic can sustain that level of focus for many years. The rest of us yawn, shrug, and say, "Same old, same old."

    Part of the lessening interest is that - for the first time in a long time - I actually have some trust that the head of the executive will, generally, not act against my interests.

    Not that he will always make good decisions, mind you. But, that his actions are not designed to make my life worse.

    ReplyDelete