Sunday, August 4, 2019

You Can't Bring About a More Just World by Lying

I've been a teacher in a majority-minority community for fourteen years. In all that time, I've been unable to avoid noticing certain patterns among the students who succeed and the students who fail.

The success profile: Engaged parents (usually two). A family ethos that emphasizes education. Consistent attendance. Consistent homework completion. A respectful, cooperative attitude.

The failure profile: Absent or hostile parents. No pressure from family to succeed in school. Comes whenever he or she feels like it. Never does homework. Treats the whole educational enterprise with distrust.

There are subcultures within my community that tend to produce kids who fit the first profile, and there are other subcultures that tend to produce kids who fit the second. I can't not see this. But I also can't talk about this forthrightly without being tarred as a racist. This is deeply frustrating because, in the end, the differences I notice have blessed little to do with race. I've worked with fresh-off-the-boat families from West Africa (read: black and speaking with foreign accents) whose kids go on to enroll at our state's flagship school (average SAT score: 1400) -- or even, in one case, Harvard. But no: discussion of this is apparently verboten.

Also verboten: Discussing the fact that my best friend in high school was repeatedly called an Oreo because she a) hung out with me and b) actually gave two shits about school.

It was even proposed to me, once, that simply bringing up the existence of the academic achievement gap is itself a racist aggression.

I'm not surprised, then, that ideologically-possessed leftists have been falling all over themselves this week to defend Baltimore. I'm not surprised that it's now verboten to discuss all the things I personally witnessed while living there, including the rampant drug use, the crime, the crumbling town homes, and - yes - the rats.

But folks: it's bug-crap crazy to actively cover up the truth just because Orange Man said it and Orange Man Bad. As a matter of fact, I think we should all be screaming at the top of our lungs about the decay of Baltimore. That decay is a monument to our failure to get urban policy right; if we don't face it, how will we ever empower the people who live there?

Question Trump's motives for bringing it up all you want. It's still profoundly unjust that there are people in America today who've been relegated to trash-and-vermin-filled slums. We should be coming together to come up with solutions instead of banishing each other for highlighting the problem. And yes -- we should be questioning government officials who supposedly represent these people on their manifest failure to help their constituents.

5 comments:

  1. "...ideologically-possessed leftists have been falling all over themselves this week to defend Baltimore.

    Is everyone who defends a city and the million who live there an ideologically-possesed leftist. I am a conservative, I stand With Baltimore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, too, stand with Baltimore. And by that I mean that I stand with the people of Baltimore who deserve good and reliable public services such as trash pickup and public safety services. It's easy to say they asked for it (by voting in the leaders who created this morass), but it has to change.

      Delete
  2. I hear these kinds of things from public school teachers all the time and it is extremely sad that the entire enterprise is run by a bunch of leftist ideologues who care more about virtue-signaling than fixing the problems. Recently, there was a story about a group of Chicago Teacher's Union people who went down to Venezuela in support of the Maduro regime. Are you kidding me?? Thus, in good faith, I cannot send my kids to public school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stevepapi, I'm confused. When you say you stand with Baltimore, do you mean that you are in favor of the status quo that exists there and opposed to President Trump's critique of it? Other sites have conglomerated multiple quotes from those now objecting to the tweet in question saying the same things - extreme poverty, rats, crime and other challenges plague Baltimore. Is everyone who points out the problems of Baltimore a racist, as has been suggested of President Trump? The list has suddenly grown much longer...

    ReplyDelete