Thursday, April 25, 2019

Geeky Recommendations, 4/24/19 (One Day Late)

Books

Ember Falls, The Last Archer, Ember Rising, S.D. Smith

I've already showered this middle grade fantasy series with praise - see the last recommendations post - and that excitement still stands. Indeed, when I finished Ember Rising (the third book in the main storyline), I immediately said, out loud, "Okay, Mr. Smith, where's the next book?" I need to know what ultimately happens to Heather and Smalls. I need to know whether the rabbits can defeat Morbin for good. I need to know the ending! And that right there - that need - is a sign of reader investment -- what should be the primary goal of any proper author.


Comics

Invaders, Chip Zdarsky, Carlos Magno, Butch Guice

The first four (?) issues of the "War Ghost" storyline are currently out as of this writing, and they are so, so good! Readers here probably know the story already, but just in case: Namor is getting ready to kill a butt-ton of people because of his unresolved PTSD, and his war buddies are trying to stop him and, hopefully, help him to heal. The realistic man-love in this is just unreal.

Spider-Man: Life Story, Chip Zdarsky

This miniseries has been getting a lot of publicity in my circles, so you all probably know what it is: Spider-Man aging in real time, with each decade of his life getting an issue. The 60's and the 70's are now out, and they are both interesting explorations of a flawed character just trying to find his proper place in the world. I'm definitely keeping an eye on this one.

Daredevil: To Know Fear, Chip Zdarsky

I praised this storyline last time, but I just wanted to give you an update: the fourth issue is out, and it maintains the high quality of the first three. My God, the back-and-forth between Matt and Frank is awesome here. I loved the exploration of the ethical limits of vigilante justice -- and the way the conversation ends is just -- *chef's kiss*.

So yeah: at this point, Chip Zdarsky is an automatic buy for me. He has come a long way!

Jawbreakers: Lost Souls, Richard C. Meyer, Jon Malin, Brett Smith

This is it: the infamous #Comicsgate-affiliated graphic novel that made hundreds of thousands of dollars in its first campaign on Indiegogo and launched an insane controversy that has resulted in a lawsuit. I finally got to read it earlier this week, and my verdict? Pretty good! There are some flaws in Richard's writing - for example, the lightning-speed relationship with Xaxi that comes out of the clear blue sky - but he's pledged to work on improving his craft, and I believe him. I believe him because his natural instinct for character and story is evident. In all seriousness: you have to have some talent to make your reader feel sorry for a dangerous giant gorilla.

Black Hops, Timothy Lim, Mark Pellegrini

The protagonist here is a bunny who became super-intelligent after the Hiroshima bombing and subsequently joined the U.S. military as a special operative. Bizarre premise, right? But it works really well -- and in parts, is shockingly touching.

My Hero Magademia, Timothy Lim, Mark Pellegrini, Brett Smith
Trump's Space Force, Timothy Lim, Chuck Dixon, Brett Smith

These two are first rate satires that you'll enjoy even if you aren't a huge fan of Trump (assuming, of course, that you're not a humorless scold). I mean, come on: defeating enemies with the power of MAGA? What's not to love? I only wish I had active links for these (and for Black Hops above), but sadly, their limited runs have already sold out. If you want a good laugh, I suggest borrowing copies from friends until we can convince the powers-that-be to print more.

No comments:

Post a Comment