Sunday, September 17, 2017

Final Vacation Log

Click below to see the final crop of photos from my pre-Dragon Con vacation!


Tuesday

On Tuesday, I spent a little time at Books by the Pound in Lawrenceville, GA...
 
...then had a grass-fed beef burger and sweet potato fries at Farm Burger in Dunwoody...
 
...and a gourmet ice cream sundae at Morelli's.
 
Wednesday
 
On Wednesday, I went to Stone Mountain. Harvey's remnants were moving in, so the view from the top was limited.
 
My thoughts on monuments like these: I'm profoundly suspicious of the recent mania advocating their destruction. They represent the hard work of many from an artistic standpoint and are important reminders of our difficult history. Have the conversation about these gentlemen and the unjustifiable cause for which they fought, yes. Have local democratic referendums about their relevance if people ask for them, yes. But don't remove them in the dead of night when emotions are running high and people are not thinking critically. Wait until we've had a rational debate.   
 
The next four shots were taken in the Historic Square.
 
 
 
 
And the next five shots were taken in the Historic Square's farmyard.

 
 
 
 
When I stopped to rest at one point, this little fellow came up to greet me. Just call me the cat whisperer; throughout this vacation, several cats who didn't belong to me decided I was the best human ever and approached me for pets.

So what's coming up this week? Wednesday's post will probably be a digest of fannish news; a lot has been going on both in comics and in literary SF upon which I feel obligated to comment. Over the weekend, meanwhile, I plan to take in my second annual Rappahannock County Farm Tour and go apple and berry picking -- which will probably generate yet another photo album. What can I say? I love snapping pictures. Indeed, I wish I had the means right now to buy a real camera and take a beginner's class!

No comments:

Post a Comment